Lake O’ the Pines

Impounded by Ferrell’s Bridge Dam Updated 1 year ago
Sunset on Lake O' the Pines

Sunset on Lake O' the Pines

Photo by Audreylski, CC3
Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Upshur County Texas
Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Morris County

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Marion County

Ferrells Bridge Dam and Lake O' the Pines are on Cypress Creek nine miles west of Jefferson in western Marion and northwestern Harrison counties (at 32°47' N, 94°35' W). The project is owned by the United States government and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Worth District. The lake is used for flood control, water and wildlife conservation, and recreational purposes. Construction of the dam was begun in January 1955 and was completed on December 11, 1959. The reservoir is formed by an earthfill dam 10,600 feet long. The crest of the spillway is 249.5 feet above mean sea level, and the conservation storage capacity is 250,000 acre-feet with a surface of 18,680 acres. The flood control storage space is 587,200 square feet. The drainage area above the dam is approximately 850 square miles.

Continue Reading

Seth D. Breeding | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lake O’ the Pines is part of or belongs to the following places:

Lake Measurements

  • Surface Area (in acres): 17,638
  • Storage Capacity (in acre-feet): 241,363

Lake Maintained or Owned by


Date of Origin

1959 (65 years ago)

Currently Exists


Place type

Lake O’ the Pines is classified as a Lake


  • Conservation
  • Flood Control
  • Recreation
  • Municipal water supply
  • Industry