Lake Stamford

A nearly full Lake Stamford in 2007

A nearly full Lake Stamford in 2007

Photo by Logann1, CC3

Lake Stamford, twelve miles southeast of Haskell in southeastern Haskell County (at 33°04' N, 99°34' W), was formed when a dam on Paint Creek was completed in 1953. Two years of construction resulted in an eight-mile-long lake with a capacity of 60,000 acre-feet and a surface area of 5,125 acres. The local clay loam soils support scrub and short grasses. Recreation opportunities include picnicking, fishing, and boating at Sico Scott Memorial and Lake Stamford parks. Lake Stamford furnishes the corporate water supply for the town of Stamford by aqueduct.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lake Stamford is part of or belongs to the following places:

Lake Measurements

  • Surface Area (in acres): 5,124
  • Storage Capacity (in acre-feet): 51,573

Lake Maintained or Owned by

City of Stamford

Date of Origin

1953 (71 years ago)

Currently Exists


Place type

Lake Stamford is classified as a Lake


  • Municipal water supply
  • Industry