Lakeland

Lakeland was seven miles north of Liberty in central Liberty County. The agricultural community was the site of a gristmill, a sawmill, a cotton gin, and a schoolhouse. The Lakeland post office was established in 1904 with William Finley as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1931, and the site of the old Lakeland community, estimated to have had a population of seventy-five in 1910, was soon developed as part of the Hardin oilfield, discovered in 1935.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lakeland is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lakeland is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Finley)

Location

Latitude: 30.17382330
Longitude: -94.75436740

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No