Lakes Chapel

Ward Prairie, also known as Lakes Chapel, is a widely scattered community on Farm Road 488 five miles northeast of Fairfield in central Freestone County. Both a Methodist church and a cemetery were established in 1876. The community had a school named Lakes Chapel School, which in 1893 had an enrollment of twenty-three students and in 1903 had an enrollment of twenty-four students. In the 1930s Ward Prairie had a school, a church, two cemeteries, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1960s the community had a church, a few cemeteries, and a few dwellings, and in the late 1980s the church and cemeteries still remained.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lakes Chapel is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lakes Chapel is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Ward Prairie)

Location

Latitude: 31.79711060
Longitude: -96.14024780

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No