Lamb

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Liberty County Texas

Hightower is on Farm Road 787 seventy-five miles northwest of Beaumont in northern Liberty County. The post office was established as Lamb in 1899 on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and presumably named after the first postmaster, Charles C. Lamb. The community was in an area of heavy lumbering activity, and numerous tram roads marked the surrounding landscape. The Lamb community had a population of 106 in 1900. In 1912 the name of the post office was changed to Hightower, after district judge Lewis B. Hightower. Doctor and druggist J. M. Hubert served as postmaster in 1915. Hightower's estimated population had fallen to less than fifty by the 1950s. A sawmill marked the Hightower community in 1971, and scattered buildings remained at the site in 1984. In 1990 and again in 2000 Hightower reported a population of thirty.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lamb is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lamb is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hightower)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No