Lanes Chapel

Lanes (Lane's) Chapel is on Farm Road 2602 seven miles northwest of Valley Mills and twenty-three miles northwest of Waco in southwestern Bosque County. The first known settler was John R. Cox in 1865. The first school was constructed in 1876. John R. Lane and his sons arrived in 1877 and built a church the next year. After completion of the church, the community changed its name from Hollis Prairie to Lanes Chapel, after the Lane family. The Lanes Chapel school consolidated with the Mosheim public schools in the early 1930s. Church membership was transferred to the Clifton Methodist Church in 1959. The church in Lanes Chapel then served as a community center.

Continue Reading

Karen Yancy | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lanes Chapel is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lanes Chapel is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hollis Prairie)

Location

Latitude: 31.66654900
Longitude: -97.59168610

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No