Las Moras

Las Moras, previously known as Kinney, was a ranching community on the Southern Pacific line at the intersection of Farm roads 1572 and 3348, six miles south of U.S. Highway 90 and eight miles southwest of Brackettville in southwestern Kinney County. The area was settled by Mexican ranchers in the early 1700s. Las Moras is Spanish for "the mulberries." A railroad depot was established at Kinney sometime between 1882 and 1884. In 1946 Las Moras had a few dwellings; by 1949 it had one business and an estimated population of twenty. After 1954 it was abandoned.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Las Moras is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Las Moras is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Kinney)

Location

Latitude: 29.22584500
Longitude: -100.49795000

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No