Lawhon Springs

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Lee County

Lawhon Springs, also known as Lawhon, is a rural community in northwestern Lee County fifteen miles west of Lexington on Farm Road 619. John L. Smith arrived in 1848 and was probably the first settler in the vicinity. Lawhon Springs was named for David B. Lawhon, who bought land that included springs in the area. A school was in operation by 1900 and during the 1905–06 school year had an enrollment of thirty-six. For many years the school also served as a church and meeting place for area residents. In the mid-1930s Lawhon Springs consisted of the school building, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings. By the early 1950s the school had been annexed to the Lexington Independent School District. In 1982 the site of the community was marked only by the cemetery.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lawhon Springs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lawhon Springs is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.41270700
Longitude: -97.25499270

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No