Lawrence Key

Lawrence Key (Lawrence-Key) is near Farm Road 1736 two miles east of State Highway 6 and six miles northeast of Hempstead in northern Waller County. It probably began before 1891, when J. M. and Mamie Key gave land for a church. Lawrence Key Methodist Church was still in operation in 1990. A school was started by 1905, when fifty-one black children attended a one-room facility. The school disappeared before the 1930s, but a cemetery north of the community and a few homes were still in the area in 1990. Rolling Hills Colony, a housing development two miles east of Lawrence Key, opened in 1965 and had thirty-three new homes by 1973.

Continue Reading

Paul M. Lucko | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lawrence Key is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lawrence Key is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Lawrence-Key]

Location

Latitude: 30.16993700
Longitude: -96.03745710

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No