Lay is twelve miles south of Lufkin in southern Angelina County. The area was settled before the Civil War. A post office opened in 1898 named for William C. Lay, who was the first postmaster. Mail service was discontinued in 1906. In the mid-1930s Lay had several stores and a church. In the early 1990s a church, a community center, and a few scattered houses still occupied the site. Lay was no longer shown on county highway maps in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Lay is part of or belongs to the following places:
Lay is classified as a Town
- (Renfro Prairie)
Has Post Office