Leaday

Leaday, on the Colorado River and Farm Road 2134, in southwestern Coleman County, was founded in 1861 by Rich Coffey, who camped on Grape Creek for two or three years before homesteading at the mouth of the Concho River. Coffey's store, saloon, and post office at the Trap Crossing of the Colorado River was later washed away, and a new site called Trigger was established across the river. In 1876 William H. Day's ranch included the area, and Coffey's rock house became the ranch headquarters. Leaday developed with the sale of ranchland to farmers and was named for the ranch owners, J. C. Lea and his wife, Mabel, who had been Mrs. William H. Day (see LEA, MABEL DOSS). It was laid out in 1904. In 1946 the community had a gin, a post office, four stores, and 100 residents. The population was fifty-five in 1980 and 1990.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Leaday is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Leaday is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Trigger)

Location

Latitude: 31.56793280
Longitude: -99.67312650

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No