League City is located within the Greater Houston metropolitan area and the Galveston Bay area on the south shore of Clear Lake. State Highway 3 and U. S. Interstate 45 run through the city. It is the largest city in Galveston County. Humans inhabited Clear Creek and the Galveston Bay area possibly as far back as 9,000 B.C. The last American Indian group on Clear Creek was the Akokisa (or Orcoquiza) who occupied the region from Galveston Bay north to present-day Conroe, Texas. The first Anglo to own property in the region of present-day League City, Father Miguel Muldoon, who purchased the land in 1831 part of Stephen F. Austin's colony. John Robert Derrick received 640 acres of land on the south side of Clear Lake in 1839. He built the family cabin for his wife and five children at the site where Clear Creek empties into Clear Lake, and they moved in during 1842. They were among the first settlers in the Clear Creek community.
In 1854 George Washington Butler (at age nine) came from Louisiana with his family and the Coward and Perkins families and settled at the junction of Cowards Bayou just past Chigger Creek (site of present-day Friendswood, Texas). In 1858 Henry Holmes and A. H. Waterman formed a brickyard—the first business in the community that became League City. The Holmes and Waterman Brickyard, 120 acres on Clear Creek, was located on the current site of Fairview Cemetery, established 1900. The city has two other historic cemeteries. Magnolia Creek Cemetery, the final resting place of Butler, Perkins, and Coward family members, was established in 1855 and is sometimes referred to as the Butler Cemetery. Magnolia Cemetery, an African American cemetery, was established in 1896.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
League City is part of or belongs to the following places:
League City is classified as a Town
- (Butler's Ranch)
- (Clear Creek)
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2021 View more »