Lecomteville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Bexar County

Losoya is on Farm Road 1937 eighteen miles southeast of downtown San Antonio in southeastern Bexar County. The community was probably first settled after the Civil War. It had a post office from 1879 to 1880 and from 1890 to 1910. The community was known in its early years as Lecomteville after Leon Lecomte, who served as first postmaster, but the name Losoya was adopted when the post office was granted in the late 1870s. The new name may have been a corruption of Laysawyer, the name of a local family. The community's population was 100 in 1878. Around 1900 Losoya had a church, a school, and a few stores, and by 1910 its population was reported as eighty-nine. In 1930 and 1940 the population of Losoya was reported as seventy-five. With the growth of nearby San Antonio after World War II, Losoya began to grow, and in 1990 it reported 322 residents. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lecomteville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lecomteville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Losoya)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No