Lewis Ferry

Lewis Ferry was on the Neches River, above its confluence with the Angelina River, seventy-five miles north of Beaumont in extreme northwestern Jasper County. The Lewis Ferry post office operated from 1859 to 1912, when the end of the steamboat era in Southeast Texas saw the abandonment of several Neches River ferries, among them Lewis Ferry. The ferry was probably named for Martin B. Lewis, a prominent figure in antebellum Jasper County.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lewis Ferry is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lewis Ferry is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Morris Ferry)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No