Little Indiana

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Wood County

Little Indiana was a schoolhouse community on a county road east of Farm Road 2225, north of Farm Road 515, and ten miles northwest of Quitman in northwestern Wood County. The community was settled in 1900 by a number of Indiana families who had been drawn by reports of plentiful timber and rich farmland. The area, near what is now the northeast arm of the Lake Fork Reservoir, turned out to be poor farmland that was susceptible to flooding. Many of the families returned to Indiana, but around 1901 those who stayed established a one-teacher school, built from local timber hauled by oxen to the nearby sawmill. Though Little Indiana grew for several years, by 1907 the community had been abandoned because of illness and continuing poor crops. A state historical marker identifies the site.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Little Indiana is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Little Indiana is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.92459700
Longitude: -95.49318800

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No