Lloyd

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Denton County

Lloyd, founded in 1850 on the old McKinney-Denton road nine miles east of Denton, was one of the pioneer settlements in Denton County. The community was named after A. P. Lloyd, the first county clerk, and had the first post office in the county. At one time Lloyd had a school, a Methodist church, and several businesses, including two stores and a gin. Like many of the other pioneer settlements in Denton County bypassed by the railroads, Lloyd failed to develop a self-sustaining economy. The community remained a village until World War II, when the few remaining residents left, so that by 1945 only a few vacant buildings remained.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lloyd is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lloyd is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.20873000
Longitude: -96.97334000

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No