Lockett

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Marion County

Lockett was on a country road just west of U.S. Highway 59 and eight miles north of Jefferson in north central Marion County. It was probably named for Royal Francis Lockett, who owned a plantation on or near the site and had some fifty-five slaves in 1860. A post office was established at the community in January 1884, and by 1890 Lockett had thirty inhabitants and a general store run by J. N. Jackson. Lockett had Baptist and Methodist churches, a school, a blacksmith, a general store, and a flour mill and gin in 1896. Its post office closed in 1903, and by the 1930s the community consisted of a cemetery and a few dwellings scattered along the road. In 1961 all that remained of the Lockett community was a cemetery.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lockett is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lockett is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Myrtle)

Location

Latitude: 32.87624700
Longitude: -94.38047150

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No