Logan

Logan, also known as Mount Pleasant, a rural community sixteen miles east of Carthage on Farm Road 31 near the Louisiana state line in eastern Panola County, was first settled before the Civil War. In 1880 the Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church was organized at the site, and a school, also known as Mount Pleasant, began operating just after 1900. A post office, named Logan for nearby Logansport, Louisiana, operated at the community from 1900 to 1910. In the mid-1930s Logan had a church, a school, and a cemetery; its reported population in 1936 was ten. The school was consolidated with those of Carthage during the 1940s, but in the early 1990s a store, a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In 2000 the population was forty.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Logan is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Logan is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Booker)
  • (McNeece)
  • (Mount Pleasant)

Location

Latitude: 32.07849790
Longitude: -94.05380130

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

40