Lomax is at the intersection of Farm Road 818 and a country road, some sixteen miles southwest of Big Spring near the southwestern corner of Howard County. In 1923 Louis Lomax established a ranch on the site of the community. Soon after, the Lomax School was built to serve children from area farms and ranches. By the 1940s the community consisted of a school, a business, and a gin. The school was consolidated with that of Stanton in 1955, and the two-room schoolhouse was converted into a community center. During the 1960s the community had a number of scattered dwellings. By the 1980s a nearby refinery was processing oil from the Wilkinson oilfield. Lomax had an estimated 500 inhabitants in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Lomax is part of or belongs to the following places:
Lomax is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2009