Luckenbach

The post office and general store at Luckenbach

The post office and general store at Luckenbach

Photo by Nicholas Henderson, CC2

Luckenbach is a scenic community in southeastern Gillespie County with strong musical associations. The site was settled in the late 1840s and early 1850s by German farmers, among them the brothers Jacob Luckenbach and August Luckenbach. Jacob was a veteran of the Texas Revolution. The pleasant setting is a mixture of caliche hills and bottomlands on Grape Creek, a tributary of the Pedernales River.

The first post office opened in 1854 under the name of South Grape Creek. Mrs. Albert Luckenbach, née Minnie Engel, established a store and saloon. A dance hall, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith shop were in existence by the late 1800s. A number of family cemeteries and a Catholic cemetery were also established. The growing population supported a primary school and a Methodist church. Residents in addition to Methodists included in roughly equal numbers Lutherans and Catholics. One local schoolmaster, Jacob F. Brodbeck, designed and tested an airplane in this community, but a major demonstration flight in 1865 terminated in a crash.

Continue Reading

Glen E. Lich, Brandy Schnautz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status:
This place has been adopted and will not be available until July 2, 2025
Adopted by:
Mary Hartwig

Belongs to

Luckenbach is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Luckenbach is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Grape Creek)

Location

Latitude: 30.17909410
Longitude: -98.75781210

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

25