Lumkins

Lumkins (also spelled Lumpkins) is a tiny farming community located off U.S. Highway 77 about ten miles south of Waxahachie in southern Ellis County. The settlement probably began in the late 1800s and was named for the Lumpkins family. James W. Lumpkins came to Ellis County in 1874, purchased land, and began farming in the area. A cotton gin in the community probably served neighborhood farmers, but by the 1930s Lumkins did not appear on highway maps. No population estimates were available until 1990 and 2000, when the community reported twenty residents.

Continue Reading

Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lumkins is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Lumkins is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.24375830
Longitude: -96.86444110

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No