Lydia, seven miles southeast of Avery in southeastern Red River County, was settled about 1870 and named for Lydia Pritchett, daughter of David B. Pritchett, who secured a post office in his general store in 1885 and served as postmaster until 1897. The population was thirty in 1890 and fifty in 1910. The post office was discontinued in 1906, and mail was sent to DeKalb. A map of 1936 indicated two rural churches with adjoining cemeteries in the farming community. From 1920 through 1986 population estimates for Lydia were reported as fifty-eight. In 1984 Lydia had two churches, two cemeteries, and a business. In 1990 the population was 109. The population remained the same in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Lydia is part of or belongs to the following places:
Lydia is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Lydia by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."