Macune is at the intersection of State Highway 147 and Farm Road 705, nine miles south of San Augustine in central San Augustine County. It was granted a post office in 1888 and may have derived its name from Charles W. Macune, president of the Farmers' Alliance at that time. In 1890 Macune had a population of seventy-five, a Farmers' Alliance general store, one other general store, a hotel, and a Methodist church. The town had a population of fifty in 1925, and its post office closed sometime in the 1930s. In 1940 Macune comprised three businesses, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. By 1960 its population had climbed to 167, though it declined to 100 by the 1970s. In the 1980s Macune had a number of dwellings, a cemetery, and a business, and its population was still estimated at 100 in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Macune is part of or belongs to the following places:
Macune is classified as a Town
- (Dogwood Grove)
Has Post Office
Macune by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."