Marlow

Marlow is near the Little River, a mile north of Farm Road 2095, and three miles east of Cameron in central Milam County. According to local sources the community was called Devils Bend in the 1880s because of the gambling that took place there. The name was changed to Marlow after Ben Marlow gave land for a cemetery, a Baptist church, and a school. In 1903 the community had a two-teacher school for seventy-two White students and a one-teacher school for fifty-seven Black students. The Marlow schools had been consolidated with the Cameron district by the early 1930s. A church, a business, and several houses were shown at Marlow on the 1941 county highway map. Forty-five residents were reported there in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Marlow is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Marlow is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Devils Bend)
  • (Magill)

Location

Latitude: 30.84880120
Longitude: -96.92165030

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

45