Slater was on Farm Road 1783 fifteen miles southwest of Gatesville in western Coryell County. James L. Martin and Zack B. Scott applied for a post office there in 1901, and Martin became the first postmaster when the office was granted in August of that year. The post office closed in 1911, but opened again in 1913; it was finally discontinued in 1919, and mail for Slater was sent to King. The Methodist church at Slater burned in 1941; to replace it, residents acquired the Methodist church building at Sugar Loaf in 1942, when the United States government got the land for Fort Hood. The building was later moved to Pidcoke for use as a fellowship hall. No population estimates for Slater are available; only a cemetery marked the community's location on county highway maps in the 1980s.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Martin is part of or belongs to the following places:
Martin is classified as a Town
Has Post Office