Mayotown

Mayotown, also known as Mayo, was a logging community on the Southern Pacific line near U.S. Highway 59 and thirteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County. The community developed around a large sawmill complex established in 1907 by the Attoyac River Lumber Company. A post office was established at the site the same year, and by 1914 the community had a company-owned commissary, a doctor's office, a community center known as the "Hall," an open-air station, a boardinghouse for single workers, and other company housing. The post office closed in 1917, and the mill shut down around 1920. The planing mill, however, operated for many years, and as late as 1936 the population of the community was estimated at 500. After World War II the planing mill closed, and most of the residents moved away. A railroad ballast plant operated for a time but later closed. In the early 1990s Mayotown was a dispersed rural community.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Mayotown is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Mayotown is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Mayo]
  • (Sterne)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No