Muncy is near the intersection of U.S. Highway 70, Farm Road 786, and the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway, seven miles northwest of Floydada in west central Floyd County. It was founded in 1897 by Rev. R. E. L. Muncy of Virginia. In 1910 the Santa Fe Railroad built into the area and constructed a switch in Muncy. The postal department granted the community an office in 1911 and appointed Reverend Muncy postmaster, but he resigned the position, and the station was never established. The Mayshaw school was built near the community in 1911 and renamed Muncy the next year. On September 11, 1910, the Muncy Missionary Baptist Church was organized at the school, with Reverend Muncy as pastor. The church remained active until it moved to Lockney in 1926. The school operated until the spring of 1947, then was consolidated (officially in 1949) with the Lockney school. In the 1980s Muncy had a grain elevator built in 1928, several houses, and a Santa Fe Railroad switch.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Mayshaw is part of or belongs to the following places:
Mayshaw is classified as a Town
Has Post Office