McGirk, in western Hamilton County, is a ghost town now. It was established in the early 1870s. A post office opened in 1882 with John A. McGirk as postmaster. A steam cotton gin operated on the Lampasas River for some years after 1892. The post office closed in 1920, but the local school district survived until around 1936. In 1945 the community reported an estimated population of twenty-five. By 2000 the population was listed as nine.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

McGirk is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

McGirk is classified as a Town


Latitude: 31.51793760
Longitude: -98.33142690

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009