Melton

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Montgomery County

Magnolia is on the Missouri Pacific line at the junction of Farm roads 1774 and 1488, twenty miles southwest of Conroe in southwestern Montgomery County. It was first settled in the late 1840s and named Mink's Prairie for one of the early settlers; its name had been shortened to Mink by 1850. On September 3, 1885, a post office was established at Mink with John F. Dobbs as postmaster. The community's population was twenty-five by 1900. In 1902, when the International-Great Northern Railroad built a line through the area, the town moved to its present location. The railroad named it Melton, in honor of Jim Melton, a large landowner in the county, but the United States Post Office confused it with Milton. Consequently it was renamed Magnolia for the magnolia trees in the bottoms of adjacent Mill Creek and granted a post office in 1903.

By 1915 Magnolia had a population of 150 and telephone service, a sawmill, Baptist and Methodist churches, two general stores, a physician, a railroad and express agent, a hotel, a livery and real estate office, a cattle dealer, a druggist, a confectionery, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith. By the 1940s the Magnolia oilfield had been established a mile east of town, and the community's population had increased to 400. At this time Magnolia had a station on the International-Great Northern Railroad, a post office, a cemetery, two churches, two schools, ten businesses, and forty-five dwellings. The Grogan-Cochran lumber camp was located two miles southeast of town.

Continue Reading

Will Branch | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Melton is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Melton is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Magnolia 2)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No