Mendoza

Mendoza is on U.S. Highway 183 ten miles north of Lockhart in north central Caldwell County. It was named for an early settler in the area. A post office operated there from 1892 to 1911. In 1905 the community had a school with one teacher and forty-seven students, and in the first quarter of the twentieth century Mendoza reported a population of 200. The 1936 county highway map showed a school, a church, a cemetery, an industrial site, several other businesses, and numerous residences at the townsite. During the Great Depression the population of Mendoza fell to 100, where it remained until the mid-1960s, when it dropped to fifty. In 1987 one business was reported there. The population of the community was still estimated as fifty in 1990. In 2000 the population was 100.

Continue Reading

Scott E. Wagner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Mendoza is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Mendoza is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Booton)

Location

Latitude: 30.00494000
Longitude: -97.68611170

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

100