Mills

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Freestone County

Mills was between State Highway 179 and Farm Road 1451 three miles south of Teague in west central Freestone County. The settlement was granted a post office in 1880 with Thomas G. Blackmon as postmaster. In 1884 Mills had two gristmills, two cotton gins, two churches, fourteen businesses, a school, and a population of 100. In 1903 the school had an enrollment of thirty-five. The community prospered until the early 1900s, when it was apparently destroyed by a cyclone. The post office was closed in 1906, and mail was sent to Luna.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Mills is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Mills is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.59628230
Longitude: -96.23108220

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No