Monterey, a sawmill settlement of the early 1900s, was in on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway and near the banks of the Angelina River eleven miles east of Huntington southeastern Angelina County. The town was the site of the Industrial Lumber Company mill. It had a general store operated by F. W. Speed. In 1902 it acquired a post office; Alfred J. Wigley was the first postmaster. In 1913 mail delivery was transferred to Huntington. In 1905 the St. Louis Southwestern of Texas extended its track beyond Monterey. The town's population in 1910 was twenty-five, and by the start of World War II the settlement was only a loading switch.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Monterey is part of or belongs to the following places:
Monterey is classified as a Town
Has Post Office