Montfort

Montfort (Montford), on Farm Road 636 eleven miles northeast of Corsicana in northeastern Navarro County, was established in the late 1890s and named for a local resident. A post office operated from 1896 until 1904. Montfort was never very large, and in the mid-1930s it had only a couple of stores, a school, and few houses; the population in 1936 was fifteen. After World War II the stores closed, and the school was consolidated with Roane school. By the mid-1960s only a few scattered houses remained.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Montfort is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Montfort is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Montford]
  • (Muskete)

Location

Latitude: 32.22237060
Longitude: -96.34942470

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No