Montville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Washington County

Montville was a community in northwestern Washington County. In 1836 Lydia A. McHenry and Mrs. David Ayres began one of the earliest Anglo-American schools in Texas at Montville; it was a girls' boarding school and boys' day school that operated until 1837. Asa Mitchell, one of the Old Three Hundred, was a Montville resident. In 1840 the community had a Republic of Texas post office. A United States post office opened at Montville on May 22, 1846; it was moved in February 1851 to Long Point.

Continue Reading

Carole E. Christian | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Montville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Montville is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No