Morrison's Chapel

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Leon County

Eunice is on State Highway 7 some fourteen miles east of Centerville in eastern Leon County. It was founded in the mid-1800s by John Morrison and was originally known as Morrison's Chapel. In 1907 a Eunice post office was established there in the store of Charles J. Hogan, who served as the first postmaster; the post office was named after his daughter. By 1914 the Eunice community had a population of 100, a livestock breeder, and a general store. In 1934 its post office was discontinued, and mail was rerouted through Nineveh. Eunice reported a population of twenty-five in 1940. A 1964 map shows about ten buildings and the Victory Church at the site. Eunice is labeled on the 1983 highway map, but no buildings are shown there.

Continue Reading

Dylan Wood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Morrison's Chapel is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Morrison's Chapel is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Eunice)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated