Moss Hill

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Liberty County Texas

Moss Hill is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 105, fifty miles northwest of Beaumont in central Liberty County. It was established just before the Civil War and named for the Spanish moss that covered the trees in the dense forests of the area. Though the post office, opened in 1860, was discontinued in 1870, Moss Hill remained a center for farmers and ranchers of central Liberty County. Small groups of Alabama and Coushatta Indians also lived in the area during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. A voting precinct was established at Moss Hill in 1929. In the mid-1980s scattered businesses and residences marked the locale, which had a population of just under fifty. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was reported as forty-nine.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Moss Hill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Moss Hill is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (New Hope)
  • (Perryman)

Location

Latitude: 30.24743260
Longitude: -94.74159000

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

180