Mount Carmel

Mount Carmel is a rural community at the intersection of two country roads ten miles northeast of Jefferson and three miles northwest of Smithland in northeastern Marion County. The Mount Carmel school had forty-five black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse, which accommodated thirty-five black elementary students. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955, and in 1962 Mount Carmel consisted of a church and a cemetery. The church and cemetery were still identified on the 1983 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Mount Carmel is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Mount Carmel is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.83263900
Longitude: -94.20546500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No