Murray

Murray, at the intersection of Farm roads 209 and 578, fourteen miles southwest of Graham in southwestern Young County, was settled in 1874 by Thomas Price. J. J. Murray soon followed Price, and the two pioneers hunted buffalo and in 1875 made the first wagon passage through the Double Fork Mountains. Other pioneers included Russell Tyre, R. K. Mayes, and the Carmack and Walsh families. The new town was named for Murray when the post office was established in 1880. By 1886 a community of twenty-seven Methodists worshipped together, and a new church was built in 1907. Murray had a population of twenty-nine in 1980; by then the post office had been closed. The population was still recorded as twenty-nine in 1990. The population grew to forty-five in 2000.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Murray is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Murray is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Fort-]
  • (Prairie View)

Location

Latitude: 33.05650130
Longitude: -98.89506720

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

29