Murrey League

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Marion County

Sunview, also known as Murrey League, was on a country road seventeen miles west of Jefferson, near what is now the south shore of Lake O' the Pines in southwestern Marion County. The community school, Murrey League, was probably named for William Murray (or Murrey), who was granted the original land patent for the community site. The Murrey League school had forty-eight black pupils and one teacher in 1899. The Sunview post office was opened in 1901 and operated until 1906; the community was identified as Sunview on postal maps. In the 1930s the Murrey League school accommodated thirty-three black pupils and one teacher, the Sunview church was located a short distance away, and several scattered dwellings existed at the townsite. The school was consolidated with the Jackson schools by 1955. In 1983 the site was part of a much larger housing development called Tall Pines, though the name of the original community was preserved in the Sunview church.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Murrey League is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Murrey League is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Sunview)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No