Nat

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nacogdoches County

Nat, on Farm Road 343 fourteen miles northwest of Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, was first settled by Henry Brewer, who obtained a league of land in the area between 1814 and 1820. It was called Crossroads for its Crossroads Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which John Bone Paine, early settler and landowner, played a prominent role. In 1895 Nathan (Nat) Jarrell, who operated one of the four stores in the community, became the first postmaster, and the community was renamed Nat in his honor. That year the Nat school was also started. By 1897 the community reported a population of more than 1,700, with dairies, farms, and wood-related industries. In 1990 Nat had a population of twenty-five, an independent church, and a cemetery located at the original crossroads. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Harold T. Purvis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Nat is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Nat is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Crossroads)
  • (Old Philadelphia)

Location

Latitude: 31.71350990
Longitude: -94.82660250

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

50