Natalie

Patricia, at the junction of State Highway 349 and Farm Road 703, twelve miles southeast of Lamesa in southwestern Dawson County, was established in 1923 as the headquarters of the Birge-Forbes Land Company of Sherman, Texas, which owned eight leagues of Dawson County land. Matthew C. Lindsey, agent for the company and local historian, sold tracts to farmers, and the company built a gin. A post office was established in 1923 after the original name, Natalie, was changed to Patricia, perhaps for Patricia Hopkins, granddaughter of a company owner. In 1948 the town had seven businesses and sixty people. The population remained at sixty in 1980 through 2000. By 1980 the post office had closed.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Natalie is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Natalie is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Patricia)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No