Navarro Mills

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Navarro County

Navarro Mills, on Farm Road 667 near Navarro Mills Lake sixteen miles southwest of Corsicana in western Navarro County, was established in the early 1850s and was the site of the first corn mill in the county. A post office operated there from 1874 until 1891. Two schools were open by 1906, one with thirty-one White students and one with forty-two Black students. In the mid-1930s Navarro Mills had a store, a church, and a number of houses. The estimated population in 1936 was twenty-five. During the 1950s the town grew to a population of fifty, with two businesses. By the mid-1960s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Navarro Mills was a dispersed community with an estimated population of fifty. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Navarro Mills is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Navarro Mills is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.95793460
Longitude: -96.68221210

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

90