New Blox

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Jasper County

New Blox, twenty miles northwest of Jasper in northwestern Jasper County, was built north of an older Jasper County settlement called Ebenezer, as an extension of a Kirby Lumber Company camp at Blox. The new camp had a commissary by 1927. As the timber at the older community was cut out, a spur line was built to New Blox, enabling the company to move its buildings to the newer logging camp. At its peak New Blox had a population of 800. Local residents got their mail from nearby Ferguson from 1928 to 1933. As loggers cut out the area's stands of virgin timber, most residents moved on. Company buildings were removed during the mid-1930s; by 1941 only twenty people remained at New Blox, and by the late 1940s population estimates were no longer available. A 1984 county highway map refers to the older Blox as New Blox, and second-growth forests have now reclaimed the original site of New Blox.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

New Blox is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

New Blox is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.98214240
Longitude: -93.98657590

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No