New Hope

New Hope is on Farm Road 2025 fifty miles north of Houston in extreme southern San Jacinto County. The community was given the name New Hope by Wilken Howard, although it was also known as Brown School Settlement after R. T. Brown, who moved to the area from Hill County in 1875. Residents of the little community went to Cleveland for most of their services, and an abandoned railroad tram line from that Liberty County town north through the New Hope area indicates that logging was once an important part of the region's economy. The New Hope church still marks the settlement, and several new buildings have been constructed since the late 1950s.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

New Hope is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

New Hope is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Brown School Settlement)

Location

Latitude: 30.58603180
Longitude: -95.31160710

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No