New Salem

New Salem was a rural community four miles southeast of Rockdale and two miles east of Farm Road 908 in southeastern Milam County. It served as a voting precinct in 1886. The school at New Salem had fifty-one students and one teacher in 1903. A school, a church, a cemetery, and several scattered houses were shown in the community on the 1941 county highway map. The school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1954, after which no further information was available.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

New Salem is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

New Salem is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.65380930
Longitude: -96.97915140

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No