Nockenut

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Wilson County

Nockenut is on Farm Road 1681 twenty miles northeast of Floresville in northeastern Wilson County. It was settled in 1857 during the wave of German and Polish immigration into the area around Marion in Guadalupe County and Panna Maria in Karnes County. A post office opened there in 1858. The settlement was included in Guadalupe County until the boundary was changed in 1869. In 1885 the community of seventy-five persons centered around a cotton gin and store operated by Joseph P. Watkins. H. S. Hastings, rancher, was postmaster; A. G. Hastings contracted to bring mail from Seguin; E. E. Hastings operated a general store. By 1890 the town had a population of eighty and a church, a school, a general store, a cotton gin, a grocer, and a wagonmaker. Nockenut declined when railroads were built further south but remained a rural post office until 1906. By the mid-1930s only a few houses remained. In 1990 through 2000 the reported population was ten.

Continue Reading

Claudia Hazlewood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Nockenut is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Nockenut is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Nockernut]

Location

Latitude: 29.34634930
Longitude: -97.91166940

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

20