Nubbin Ridge

Pleasant Grove, also known as Nubbin Ridge, is a rural community twelve miles southwest of Gilmer on Farm Road 1002 in western Upshur County. It was first settled before the turn of the century. A school was in operation by 1906, when it had an enrollment of fifty-one black students. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of houses; the school was famous in the area for its baseball teams. After World War II the school was consolidated with Big Sandy district, and in the mid-1960s a church, a community center, and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In 1990 Pleasant Grove was a dispersed rural community. No population estimates were available. By 2000 the population was listed as thirty-five.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Nubbin Ridge is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Nubbin Ridge is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Pleasant Grove)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No