Oak Grove

Oak Grove is on Farm Road 1402 five miles northeast of Mount Pleasant in central Titus County. It was probably settled in the 1840s. A post office, established there in 1848 with Robert Holbrook as postmaster, was in operation until 1853. The settlement centered around a school, which also served at times as a community hall and church. After World War II, declining rural population along with improvements in local transportation led to the consolidation of the school district with the Hartsbluff district, and the school at Oak Grove was closed. In 1984 the community consisted of a church and widely scattered houses.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Oak Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Oak Grove is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Gilpin)

Location

Latitude: 33.22622900
Longitude: -94.94549070

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No