Oak Island was on the Medina River off State Highway 16, fifteen miles south of downtown San Antonio in southern Bexar County. The town was the site of a Presbyterian church founded by J. Limber in 1847. This church was abandoned in 1875, when many Oak Island residents moved to Mexia, but in 1878 John Wesley DeVilbiss established a Methodist mission church there. In the late 1940s a church and a school were still at the site, but in the 1960s Oak Island was no longer shown on maps. More recently, however, the community has begun to increase in population again. The Oak Island United Methodist Church was still in operation in 1999, though the school had closed.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Oak Island is part of or belongs to the following places:
Oak Island is classified as a Town
Has Post Office