Oakland

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Brazoria County

Oakland is one mile west of Freeport and one mile north of State Highway 36 in south central Brazoria County. Oakland was the name of the plantation of Henry William Munson, who came to the county in 1828 and purchased land from Stephen F. Austin. The cotton and sugar plantation, located on Gulf Prairie less than a mile west of the Brazos River, continued to operate after Munson died in 1833. State highway maps of 1936 showed a church and school at the site, but in 1974 only St. Joseph Church, an adjacent cemetery, and scattered dwellings remained.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Oakland is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Oakland is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 28.99191420
Longitude: -95.44383110

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No